Guided Tours of Doneraile Court
*September 2020 Opening Hours Update:
Doneraile Court is open 4 days a week up until the 26th of October - Thursday to Sunday. Tours every hour from 10 am to 4.45 pm, max 4 people per tour.
Doneraile Court and gardens has reopened to the public for 2020 season. The Guides and the Gardeners have been working hard to follow the COVID-19 recommended guidelines, and have come up with alternative ways to visit the house and the gardens which are a new addition to the 2020 offering.
- Queuing system outside at the Cafe area (Cafe not yet open)
- Strictly 4 people per tour
- Please arrive 10 minutes before tour time
- Public toilets are situated at the main car park beside the playground
- Guided tour only on the hour from 10am to 4.45pm
- Tours will take 30 minutes approx of the refurbished ground floor.
- Ticketed visitors can also now visit the 18th and 19th-century walled gardens.
- Contactless payment preferred: online booking coming soon
- Queries: email email@example.com or call at 022 24771
Doneraile Court is the stunning centrepiece of one of Ireland’s most beautiful estates. Located on the banks of the Awbeg river in north Co. Cork, the house dates from the 1720s, when it was built by Arthur St. Leger, the first Viscount Doneraile and father of the renowned Lady Freemason.
The house was modified extensively in the 19th century by later generations of St. Legers, creating the imposing and characterful building that can be enjoyed today. The kitchen wing from this period now serves as the home of the Doneraile Court tearooms and is a perfect way to start or finish your visit.
The estate and surrounding village has a strong literary tradition, incorporating figures such as Edmund Spenser, who immortalised the river Awbeg in his poem The Faerie Queene, Elizabeth Bowen, and Canon Sheehan. This legacy is reflected in our cultural programme, launched in June 2019.
Today, Doneraile Court has opened its doors once again and resumes its rightful place at the heart of this great estate. The OPW is delighted to partner with the Crawford Art Gallery to share some significant works from the Gallery’s collection at Doneraile.
From 30th March 2020, book a tour with one of our experienced guides to learn more about the fascinating history of the house and estate.